We’re looking for a bright and eager mobile engineer to help us improve and enhance our new Android and iOS myStrength app. The app is always evolving and adding new content and features, with new platforms and integrations key to our goals. We’re even looking into new technology spaces with wearables and health-focused hardware integrations!
This role would work collaboratively with other mobile engineers, product, and design (both UI and UX) in our Denver office. If you’re a guru of iOS but know nothing of Android, or a robot at heart and never tasted fruit—perfect! Cross platform experience is a bonus, but not a must. However, desiring to know both is necessary. We foster a learning environment and welcome the ambitious! If you want your work to mean something and you think phones/tablets are the future of all things tech, we’d love to talk with you!
ON ANY GIVEN DAY YOU COULD FIND YOURSELF…
- Coding away on our new native mobile apps (Android and iOS)
- Architecting brand new features for both platforms
- Fixing bugs in a core service layer or a UI/implementation issue on iOS/Android
- Writing Unit Tests, UI Tests, and Integration Tests to help out our QA Team, and then working through all manner of acceptance criteria, kickbacks, and crazy edge cases
- Demolishing said edge cases with WCAG 2.0 criteria like system font adjustments, Navigator/Voice-Over mode, high contrast, and every imaginable way to use that smart device
- Working closely with design to bring a user-first experience to the masses (including awesome Lottie animations)
- Implementing our spiffy designs in Interface Builder, XML, CALayers, drawables, etc. Custom fonts, Lottie animations, activity transitions, multi-device support, localization adjustment, the works. (No star wipes though ☹ )
- Adopting, adapting, and advancing the core of what the myStrength experience means through material design, responsive interaction, and powerful mobile UX while staying true to platform-specific ideology (both platforms have equal say and the app should be a good iOS app to iOS users and a good Android app to Android users, no exceptions!)
YOU SHOULD HAVE:
- 2-3+ years of native mobile development (Android in Java/Kotlin or iOS in Swift/Objective-C) or experience in native Xamarin development (C# in Xamarin.Android and Xamarin.iOS—sorry, we’re not using Xamarin.Forms)
- A strong foundation in OOP principles and design patterns (data structures, algorithms, polymorphism, observers, composition, yadda yadda)
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills and can present your work and effectively communicate how your designs solve specific problems.
- A passion to build accessible apps that are visually delightful and easy to use for native users of iOS and Android
- Ability to receive feedback and critiques in a thoughtful and professional manner in code reviews and architecture discussions
- An undying passion to do right by the user in terms of experience, platform expectations and innovating in meaningful ways
BONUS POINTS (nice to have but not required):
- Comfortable reverse engineering endpoints and services
- Prior experience with C#, ideally in a Xamarin-based native mobile application environment.
- Experience in working with adaptive and fluid native apps (size classes, xdp folders, multi-resolution assets, rotation layouts, etc.)
- Willing to learn the “other side” and become capable in both Android and iOS and eventually own features and implementations on both platforms.
YOU’LL FIT RIGHT IN IF
- You over-communicate to stakeholders and the business by nature
- You love witty banter and kombucha
- You want to change people’s lives and help others
- You are self–directed but play well with others
- You’re honest and ethical
- You continually strive to learn new things
- Located in Downtown Denver, CO with great views of the mountains
- Full Time, with Work-life balance – we don’t expect you to sleep at your desk
- Work mostly on-site with ability to work remote when necessary
- Compensation package commensurate with experience and expertise
- Benefits include:
- 401k plan
- Company-sponsored health insurance, ST/LT disability and Life insurance
- Subsidized parking
- Any accessories you want—4k monitors, trackpads, laptop stands, etc.
- Oh yeah, we also have catered lunches, a stocked fridge and a great snack cabinet
Our web and mobile programs help people through struggles with depression, anxiety, and substance use –
and improve overall health and wellness every day. Based in Denver, myStrength is a recognized leader and
one of the fastest-growing, digital mental health companies in the US.